Re: Doc files for octave-3.4.0-i386.dmg?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Doc files for octave-3.4.0-i386.dmg?
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:36:33 -0400

On Jun 21, 2012, at 11:14 AM, Francesco Potortì wrote:

>> No, there isn't. And if people like you aren't interesting in
>> compiling a newer dmg, then there won't be one.
>
> Downloading and installing is definitely simpler than creating an
> installer.  One cannot expect random Mac users to do that.  I'm saying
> this because it seems you are blaming the original poster for not
> creating an installer :)

Creating an installer for MacOS or Windows is more difficult that it appears.

If we desire a fully functional install which includes functional mkoctfile(),
doc(), print() functions then a lot more than just Octave needs to be included
(gs, pstoedit, transfig, gcc, gfortran, etc).

On MacOS X I've had additional problem with computers that have a local
Aquaterm install that is not binary compatible with Gnuplot that I've tried to
bundle with the App.

Michael Goffioul has mitigated the mkoctfile problem on Windows by providing
the binary versions of the Octave Forge packages. I don't know what has done or
plans for doc(), and print() support.

Ben