Re: Changing save and load locations?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Changing save and load locations?
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:50:08 -0400

assuming you're using the windows build. I noticed that in one of the
recent versions it was changed so that upon starting Octave it would
always start you in your home folder. For windows Vista and 7 this is
the c:\Users\%username% folder.

I find this rather inconvenient, as I prefer to create shortcuts in my
project folders so that octave starts locally. this used to work
before they made the change. To restore this behavior, you need to
change one line in one of the Octave startup config files:

In windows, this file will be:
%octavehomefolder%\share\octave\site\m\startup\octaverc
(replace the %octavehomefolder%with whatever your install path says)

There is a line at the end of that that text file that says:
cd(getenv('USERPROFILE'))

this basically gets your home folder location and goes there as the
last startup action.  Just comment that line out (put a ## in front of
it link many of the others) and the folder you start in will depend on
what's in the shortcut you use to start the program. I.e., in the
shortcuts that Octave now puts by default in the program folder (the
octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2 shortcut in the latest version), you can right
click on it, select 'Properties', and clear the 'Start In' line. As
long as its blank, Octave will start wherever the shortcut is located.
 Alternatively, you could put whatever you want into that line if you
always want to start somewhere else.