Re: Fw: Cannot find function files

From: Laurent Hoeltgen
Subject: Re: Fw: Cannot find function files
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 07:37:52 +0200

Hi,

On 06/19/2012 11:56 PM, Ian M Hodge wrote:
> I am attempting to run Octave 3.2.4 on Mint 12 but have encountered
> a problem. I am new to Octave so I suspect my problem can be easily
> (trivially?) resolved.
>
> I have copied several Matlab m-files to
> /usr/local/share/octave/site-m. However, when I call any of the
> functions Octave says that no such file exists. The path name in
> the error message is identical to the path name shown on the
> properties pull down menu for ...site-m. All transferred m-files
> can be read from ...site-m without difficulty, and an incomplete
> list of the files in ...site-m is given by the "dir
> /usr/local/share/octave/site-m" command (I assume the list is
> incomplete because of some sort of restriction on the number of
> files displayed - I also have text and other files in ... site-m).
> The load path /usr/local/share/octave/site-m is at the top of the
> list of directories given by entering "path". Is some sort of
> administrator privilege required to run Octave?
>
> Ian Hodge

The path() command returns the locations where octave looks for
m-files. Check if your directory is in this list. On my system,

/usr/local/share/octave/site-m

is not in the path, but

/usr/local/share/octave/site/m

is.

If you want to add further locations to the path, you might want to
have a look at commands like addpath and genpath.

Regards,
Laurent