Re: Loading and average PGM files

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Loading and average PGM files
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:20:38 -0400

Hi, Sergei. It's nice talking to you again.

On 18 June 2012 13:38, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]

I'm talking about how to build from source the Debian way.

> You cause cognitive dissonance in me !

I'm sorry. I hope I have not upset your emotional balance.

> "According to the scenario" ((c) - Shrek) you are supposed to
> advertise binary installs and not installs from source.
>
> In the world of Linux vendor lock-in users are supposed to patiently
> wait until next binary release.

There is no vendor here. Nobody is selling Debian, although some
people sell support for Debian. Therefore, without a vendor, there is
no vendor lock-in.

> P.S. How complicated is the above in comparison to 'pkg install' ...

It's better than "pkg install" for several reasons:

    1) You're leveraging other people's work in building the package,
       since someone else has figure out the right invocation to
       properly compile Octave (flags, libraries to link to, etc)

    2) You're using the same apt system for automatically tracking
       dependencies instead of chasing them yourself manually.

    3) If you choose to update debian/changelog, you are keeping track
       of the Debian revision of the package you just built as well as
       a changelog file that says what you just changed. This plays
       nicely with the rest of your system's package system.

    4) Since you built a package, if you need to remove or update it,
       the apt packaging system can help you track this.

All in all, Debian can provide nice binary distribution by default,
and pretty source distribution when that fails, e.g. because you need
to quickly fix a bug or you need to build against a different library
or version.

I hope this clears up any confusion you might have had.

- Jordi G. H.