From: Mathieu
Subject: Loading and average PGM files
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 04:13:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I am working with the Microsoft Kinect device, an accessory of the Xbox
console game, and I use it as a 3-dimensional camera to map rock surfaces.
The internal parameters of the Kinect enable me to map and get the raw
sensor digital numbers (DN) which are in (pixel, pixel, DN) coordinates and
that I can convert later into real distances with calibrations. While I am
recording with this tool, I get several files at PGM format (depth data). I
let the Kinect recording for a while a each location where I set it up. I
have thus numerous pictures (several hundreds) of each field of view from
different locations of the surface I want to map.

The problem is that a single frame is noisy and I therefore want to average
all the good values at each pixel of the PGMs. I used to work on Matlab but
I need to use Octave for my project. I cannot manage to load pgm files on
Octave and to average them.

Does anyone have already done that on Octave?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Mathieu