Octave-forge upgrade installers for Octave-3.6.2/VS2010

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Octave-forge upgrade installers for Octave-3.6.2/VS2010
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:15:04 +0100

Hi,

Because
- sometimes I don't have the time to prepare all octave-forge packages for a major octave binary release
- sometimes octave-forge packages are updated after the binary release
- sometimes new packages pop up after a binary release
- it can be a pain to wait until the next major binary release
- it can be even more painful to try to recompile packages

I implemented a simple octaveforge package upgrade system. This has the form of simple installers that are intended to be deployed on top of an existing octave binary install. The installer takes care of installing (if it's a new package), or upgrading (if it's already installed) the octaveforge package. If there are any external dependencies (like DLL's), these are included into the installer.

One important thing to note is that there's no way back, like an uninstaller for that specific package. If anything wrong happens, I'd recommend to uninstall the package manually using "pkg uninstall" or reinstall octave using the main octave installer.

I've applied the procedure to create installer for the following packages:
geometry-1.5.0
io-1.0.19
optim-1.2.0
video-1.0.2