Re: help : how to load only a part of a matrix in octave

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: help : how to load only a part of a matrix in octave
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 17:03:07 +0200

Am 05.06.2012 16:38, schrieb Francesco Potortì:
> To be more specific: as far as the file pointer is concerned, as far
> as I know, the 2^31 limitation depends on the operating system
> libraries, and I think that it is a thing of the past on all systems.
> As far as the size of the matrix, the limitation of 2^31 is not on
> data: it is on the index. You can address any number of arrays, each
> with up to 2^31 elements with the 32-bit version. This was the status
> of Octave in 2009, at least, and I guess it has not changed.
The indexing is the real problem sometimes, I was confused by an older
discussion here about >2GB files, I know that there is no problem to
have a 16GB double matrix in memory (if you have enough virtual  memory).
Reading a >2GB binary file fails when putting it into a byte array for
example, since you end up with a byte array in octave which exceeds the
index limit.

Sorry for the confusion.