Re: Same sequence of random number generators than under Matlab?

From: Mathieu Dubois
Subject: Re: Same sequence of random number generators than under Matlab?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 11:21:12 +0200 (CEST)

----- Mail original -----
De: "Alasdair McAndrew" <address@hidden>
À: "Mathieu Dubois" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Envoyé: Lundi 4 Juin 2012 14:26:00

> Writing your own is a good idea. Cleve Moler, here, speaks of the linear
> congruential generator

> x_{k+1} = ax_k (mod m)

> with a,m = 16807, 2^31-1

Following your advice, I was trying to implement the LCG but I can't find the
document. Could you repost it?

Also thanks for the other algorithm but I want to use a simple one.

Mathieu

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Mathieu Dubois < address@hidden > wrote:

Hello,

I want to comapre the output of the Self-Organinzin Map algorithm under Matlab
and Octave.

The algorithm is stochastic because, as in most training algorithm, the data
are presented inrandom order.
In order to compare as precisely as possible the Matlab and Octave version it
seems necessary to have the same sequence of random numbers.

Is there a way to do that?

I have tried the following:
rand('twister', 10);
s = rand(10, 1);
disp(s);
disp(mean(s));
disp(var(s));

The sequences are different (but the statistics are close).

Mathieu