Re: Scripts and binaries

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Scripts and binaries
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 12:37:18 +0200

Am 30.05.2012 11:58, schrieb Jose:
> Hello.
>
> I need to run octave as a server that executes certain scripts. The
> server will be in a kind of public computer, and the scripts to be
> executed contain sensitive information that should not be
> accessible/readable by humans.
>
> Any suggestions about how to do this? With Matlab one can create an
> executable with all the application, is it possible to do something
> like this in octave?
>
> BR,
> Jose
Octave does not have such a feature to create an obfuscated binary to
hide implementation details.

You do not really say what kind of sensitive information, so I have to guess

a) you consider your implementation details as sensitive and want to
hide your programming details -> octave is clearly the wrong choice for
that, buy a proprietary program which supports creating and obfuscating
proprietary software or review your reasons if you really want your
scripts to be proprietary and the implementation hidden

b) your sensitive data is subject to some data protection rules and
contains personal data or similar -> having that integrated in a script
or part of a program is not the right choice, separate data and program
and put the data into some encrypted file which you read and process

Just my 2ct.