Re: Octave for Mac with Reference Lapack

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: Octave for Mac with Reference Lapack
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 17:24:18 +0200

On 29.05.2012, at 16:35, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On 5/29/12 4:22 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>> On May 29, 2012, at 3:29 AM, Lukas Reichlin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Alexander
>>>
>>> Would you help me creating an Octave variant for Fink with reference BLAS
>>> and LAPACK libraries (both included in lapack 3.4.1 from
>>> http://www.netlib.org/lapack/)?
>>>
>>> The reason for such a variant is that I'm experiencing problems with stuff
>>> like wrong Hankel singular values and non-converging SVDs with both ATLAS
>>> and Apple's Accelerate/Veclib framework. The SLICOT authors recommend that
>>> I use the reference LAPACK implementation from Netlib. It solved the
>>> problems, and now I would like to use reference LAPACK also for Octave
>>> itself and not only my control package.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Lukas
>>
>> Lukas,
>>
>> Do you have a simple example that demonstrates the problem ? ... or maybe a
>> link to the details ?
>>
>> Ben
>>

> I _can_ do it, yeah.  We found under testing that it's best to use the
> same LAPACK/BLAS provider for any dependencies of Octave as for Octave
> itself, so that's going to entail making variants for Octave, arpack-ng,
> and qrupdate.  It'll probably be best to create a package based on
> lapack-3.4.1 that all of these can build against.
>
> I'd like to see a test case, too.
> --
> Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
> Fink User Liaison
> http://finkakh.wordpress.com/

The really bad examples from system identification are not ready for a release
yet. But it is sufficient to install the official control-2.3.50 package on a
Mac and run
        test_control
All tests should pass. A few sign changes are not a problem, but wrong Hankel
singular values are a no-go. Framework Accelerate on Mac OS X 10.7 is the worst
of all, not to say FUBAR, followed by various ATLAS 3.9.* releases (MacPorts
doesn't have 3.8.x). Accelerate from 10.6 is slightly better, but still
unusable for SLICOT system identification purposes. I lost several weeks of my
thesis because of that …

Best regards,
Lukas