Re: Octave for Mac with Reference Lapack

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Octave for Mac with Reference Lapack
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 07:35:58 -0700

On 5/29/12 4:22 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On May 29, 2012, at 3:29 AM, Lukas Reichlin wrote:
>
>> Hi Alexander
>>
>> Would you help me creating an Octave variant for Fink with reference BLAS
>> and LAPACK libraries (both included in lapack 3.4.1 from
>> http://www.netlib.org/lapack/)?
>>
>> The reason for such a variant is that I'm experiencing problems with stuff
>> like wrong Hankel singular values and non-converging SVDs with both ATLAS
>> and Apple's Accelerate/Veclib framework. The SLICOT authors recommend that I
>> use the reference LAPACK implementation from Netlib. It solved the problems,
>> and now I would like to use reference LAPACK also for Octave itself and not
>> only my control package.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Lukas
>
> Lukas,
>
> Do you have a simple example that demonstrates the problem ? ... or maybe a
> link to the details ?
>
> Ben

I _can_ do it, yeah.  We found under testing that it's best to use the
same LAPACK/BLAS provider for any dependencies of Octave as for Octave
itself, so that's going to entail making variants for Octave, arpack-ng,
and qrupdate.  It'll probably be best to create a package based on
lapack-3.4.1 that all of these can build against.

I'd like to see a test case, too.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison