Re: compiling basic octave in VC++

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: compiling basic octave in VC++
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 13:25:49 -0700

Excerpts from Matt Flax's message of Mon May 14 16:42:06 -0700 2012:
> I am aware that some people have managed to compile octave using
> Microsoft's VC++ compiler.

I guess you probably already know that there are compiled packages
(using VC++ 2010) available for download:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.1%20for%20Windows%20Microsoft%20Visual%20Studio/

> I am interested in compiling only the bare basics to get a command line
> octave running.
> Can anyone point me in the right direction ?
>
> I can setup gnuwin32, as well as the VC++ environment variables to
> enable nmake and so on.
> Is anyone aware of how to run the ./configure ? I assume I have to use
> bash from msys to do this. However how do I get ./configure to be aware
> that it will use the VC++ compiler ? Is it even possible ?
>
> Trauling through the .h files - it appears to be possible as various
> flags relating to MSVC++ exist, such as
> HAVE_MSVC_INVALID_PARAMETER_HANDLER from the file config.h

The compilation process in Windows using Visual Studio is painful and
complicated.

You can find some files to assist in the process here:

http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/tags/R2008-08-24/admin/Windows/msvc/

And here too:

http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/

But again, if you want a version of Octave for Windows compiled with
VC++, I strongly suggest you to try the packages in the first link
(unless you want to have modified the sources of Octave and want to
try to compile your customized version).

Cheers,
Israel

--
Israel Herraiz
Assistant Professor / Profesor Ayudante Doctor