RE: Octave 3.6.1 edit.m problem under Windows 7 x64

From: Richardson, Anthony
Subject: RE: Octave 3.6.1 edit.m problem under Windows 7 x64
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 19:20:04 +0000

> Subject: Octave 3.6.1 edit.m problem under Windows 7 x64
>
> Dear Octave mailing list,
>
> I've recently followed all of the instructions to manually install octave
> under
> Windows (I'm running Windows 7 x64). I've extracted all the files under C:\ so
> that there's no spaces in the directory name as requested.
> I've also edited octaverc so that the chosen editor is Notepad++. As a matter
> of fact if I type "EDITOR" into the Octave console, Octave returns:
>
> ans= C:\Programmi (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe
>
> (please note, "Programmi" is not a misspelled "Programs", it's an Italian
> computer... )
>
> but if I write "edit" in the prompt i receive the following error:
>
> warning: unrecognized escape sequence '\P' -- converting to 'P'
> warning: unrecognized escape sequence '\N' -- converting to 'N'
> error: system: CreateProcess failed -- can't create child process
> error: called from:
> error: C:\Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2\share\octave\3.6.1\m\miscellaneous\edit.m
> at line 212, column 7
>
> I've done a little research and I've understood that it's a known problem...is
> there a way to resolve it? I've also understood there's a workaround...is that
> true? and, if yes, what's that?
>
> Thank you!

This looks like a C-string character escape problem.  You don't say how you
define EDITOR, but you
might try replacing each backslash (\) with a double backslash (\\) in the
definition.  Using a forward
slash (/) instead of backslash might work too.

Alternatively, I set the editor in my .octaverc startup file as follows:

edit editor "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Programmer\'s Notepad\\pn.exe %s";

This works for me, so something similar might work for you.  (Enter "help edit"
at the octave prompt for a description of what the above command is doing.)

Tony Richardson