Re: error using huffmandict function

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: error using huffmandict function
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 09:42:59 -0400

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Érico Porto <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to run a single line here:
>
> octave:1> version
> ans = 3.2.4
> octave:2> huffmandict([1 2],[0.9 0.1])
> error: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment.
> error: assignment to cell array failed
> error: assignment failed, or no method for `<unknown type> = null_matrix'
> error: called from:
> error:   /usr/share/octave/packages/3.2/communications-1.0.10/huffmandict.m
> at line 118, column 15
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 and default octave from apt-get. This runs
>
> uname -a
> Linux erico-OptiPlex-GX270 3.0.0-17-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 8
> 17:34:21 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Hi Érico, this command works for me with the latest Octave and
communications packages, so you are likely seeing a bug that has been
fixed in a newer version of one or the other.

I do not have a setup with your version of Octave so I haven't
verified this will fix it for you, but you can try installing a newer
communications package by downloading it from
http://octave.sourceforge.net/ and installing it with

pkg install communications-<version>.tar.gz

in the Octave shell.  If this doesn't work for you, then your version
of Octave may be too old for the newest communications package and you
may need to upgrade both together.  I use Debian, I don't know if
Ubuntu has newer versions of these packaged that you could apt-get on
your system, others on the list may know.  I hope this is enough to at
least get you started.

--
mike