Fwd: csv2cell & separator [WAS: Re: [OctDev] Excel Data in Octave]

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Fwd: csv2cell & separator [WAS: Re: [OctDev] Excel Data in Octave]
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:23:09 +0200

Forwarded just to complete this part of the thread, others may benefit from this info.

Let's move the rest of thread to Octave-Forg:
address@hidden

On 04/26/2012 04:28 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
Daniel J Sebald wrote:
Just a brief comment on saving spreadsheet data as CSV. The thing to be
careful of is when your data might be text fields with commas. For
example, a field like

Sebald, Daniel

could throw off the csv2cell routine so that fields are misaligned.

csv2cell has a PROT parameter:

<QUOTE>
-- Loadable Function: C = csv2cell (FILE, SEP, PROT)
Read a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file and convert it into a
cell array. SEP (a character value) changes the character used to
separate two fields. The default value is a comma (`,'). PROT
(character value) changes the character used to protect a string.
</QUOTE>

I'd suppose it is meant for exactly that situation.

Sounds right.  I recall the SEP parameter but don't recall a PROT
setting.  Thanks.

Dan