Re: Plotting a function of 3 variables ?

From: Oisín Ó Cuanacháin
Subject: Re: Plotting a function of 3 variables ?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:51:02 +0100

From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden] On Behalf Of Ismael Diego Nunez-Riboni
Sent: 25 Aibreán 2012 11:28
To: address@hidden

> I'm trying to visualize a function of 3 variables v = f(x,y,z). So I'm
> wondering is there any appropriate plotting function in Octave? What I
> am thinking of is a 3-D lattice of markers with the colour of the marker
> indicating the function value, like a 3-D scatter plot with each point
> being a different coloured sphere with the colour indicating the
> function's magnitude at that point. The spheres would be small relative
> to the distance between adjacent spheres (the x,y,z coordinates to be
> plotted will be uniformly spaced) so that the figure could be rotated
> and viewed from all angles while still being able to see any patterns or
> trends through the entire lattice. Is there any command to achieve
> something like this ?

Try first:

plot3 (x,y,z)

Otherwise:

surf (x,y,z)
--
Ismael Núñez-Riboni
Hamburg

No Ismael, these won't work, as with Doug's response these are for plotting functions of TWO variables, I want to plot a function of THREE variables. If you re-read my original post or my response to Doug, this should be clear.