Re: Plotting a function of 3 variables ?

From: Oisín Ó Cuanacháin
Subject: Re: Plotting a function of 3 variables ?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:46:09 +0100

On 25 April 2012 11:33, Doug Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Oisín Ó Cuanacháin <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to visualize a function of 3 variables v = f(x,y,z). So I'm wondering is there any appropriate plotting function in Octave? What I am thinking of is a 3-D lattice of markers with the colour of the marker indicating the function value, like a 3-D scatter plot with each point being a different coloured sphere with the colour indicating the function's magnitude at that point. The spheres would be small relative to the distance between adjacent spheres (the x,y,z coordinates to be plotted will be uniformly spaced) so that the figure could be rotated and viewed from all angles while still being able to see any patterns or trends through the entire lattice. Is there any command to achieve something like this ?

Thanks