Re: problem installing packages (3.2.4)

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: problem installing packages (3.2.4)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:45:44 +0100

On 23 April 2012 16:08, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 23 April 2012 15:40, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
>> 2012/4/23 Márcio Diniz <address@hidden>:
>>> I just type
>>> octave:3> help numgradient
>>> error: help: `numgradient' not found
>>> octave:3> help numhhessian
>>> error: help: `numhhessian' not found
>>> However, as I wrote before, when I type help bfgsmin, it finds the function.
>>>
>>> `bfgsmin' is a function from the file
>>> /usr/share/octave/packages/3.2/optim-1.0.12/bfgsmin.m
>>>
>>>  bfgsmin: bfgs or limited memory bfgs minimization of function
>>>
>>>  Usage: [x, obj_value, convergence, iters] = bfgsmin(f, args, control)
>>>
>>>  The function must be of the form ... etc
>>>
>>> As you can see, I have optim-1.0.12 installed. I do not know what is wrong.
>>> Thanks agains
>>> Marcio
>>
>> Oh, I know what this is. It's an Ubuntu packaging bug, related to the
>> architecture-dependent pathnames. Sigh... this is what happens when
>> you copy Debian packages automatically and nobody in Ubuntu is taking
>> care of them. It is the same as this bug:
>>
>>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/octave-combinatorics/+bug/664375
>>
>> I ran into this a while ago:
>>
>>    https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2011-May/046063.html
>>
>> I don't remember how to fix this. I think the problem is that someone
>> in Ubuntu has to properly recompile the Debian packages, but nobody in
>> Ubuntu is taking care of the Octave packages. I remember someone had
>> attempted to fix the packaging bug, but I can't remember who or how.
>>
>> You can try not using the Ubuntu packages and instead do
>>
>>    pkg install -forge optim
>
> You'll need to install the package octave3.2-headers for this to work.
> Also, optim, requires struct and miscellaneous which they have their
> own dependencies and miscellanous itself requires 3.6 or later. I
> think the following should solve your problem (the nodeps is to force
> installaion of miscellaneous) :
>
> ## at bash run the following
> $ sudo aptitude purge octave-miscellaneous octave-struct octave-optim
> $ sudo aptitude install octave3.2-headers libncurses5-dev
> ## start octave with root privileges
> $ sudo octave
> ## at the octave prompt run the following
> octave> pkg install -nodeps -forge struct miscellaneous optim
> octave> exit
>
> Then start octave as regular user and see if that solves your problem.

I forgot that octave 3.2 does not have the -forge option. You'll need
to download the tar.gz files from the website
http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php and install with the
command

octave> pkg install -nodeps path/for/miscellaneous
octave> pkg install path/for/struct
octave> pkg install path/for/optim

Carnë