Notepad++

From: Peter Ryan
Subject: Notepad++
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 19:04:46 -0500

Hi,

I am just starting to use Octave.  The Readme file noted that the Octave archive I was using did not contain an editor, and that Notepad++ was recommended.  It also gave instructions to install the Notepad++ editor:

This archive doesn't contain any editor!

In order to install Notepad++ (recommended) as an editor:

    a. download the installation package from http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

    b. install, edit <your octave dir>\share\octave\site\m\startup\octaverc

    c. uncomment the line which set octave default editor: EDITOR('C:\\Program Files\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe');

I followed these instructions, updating the path in step C (EDITOR('C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe')).  I don’t really know what to expect.  Should the Notepad++ start up when I click the Octave icon (it does not do this), or should I just start the Notepad++ and expect to find a connection with Octave that can interpret the Octave syntax with the appropriate color coding?  I should note that Octave appears to be running well on my computer.  I also downloaded the GUI Octave program and it appears to be running well on this computer.

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards,

Peter