Re: octcdf-1.1.4 yields recompile with -fPIC

From: Ismael Núñez-Riboni
Subject: Re: octcdf-1.1.4 yields recompile with -fPIC
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 20:26:25 +0200

Moin Alexander,

thanks for the reply.

When you have multiple copies of NetCDF installed on your system, you
need to be sure that you consistently use the same (during compilation,
linking and when you use it).

Basically this is at the end what I had to do in retrospective, i.e., to recompile Octave and specifying the path to the Unidata netcdf library.

I never had problems in using the "system" netcdf library in /usr/lib (I
am using a 64-bit kernel too), so why not use this one. What does
nc-config --libs return?

I need the Unidata netcdf for another package (Climate Data Operators of the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology), as far as I know these operators only work with the unidata library.

When you compile octcdf, please use the verbose option. So you can
verify which path are used (options -I and -L).

You can also check with
ldd
/home/ismael/octave/octcdf-1.1.4/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-api-v48+/netcdf.oct

that the same netcdf library is used.

Note that LD_LIBRARY_PATH uses the path of the file (/path/to) and not
the complete file name (/path/to/libfoo.so), but this should not be
necessary if the libary is in /usr/lib.

Thanks for all these tips relating the compilation and checking of what libraries are linked. I will consider them for the next time so that I can make a cleaner compilation. Have a nice weekend. Ismael.