Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

From: mesuron
Subject: Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:26:05 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi,

I have no problems working in Octave in any Ubuntu versions.
As I mentioned before I just manually copied all packages files to usr/share/octave/packages directory.
You probably know that in order to do it I need admin privileges. That is how they built Ubuntu now!

In Ubuntu 10.04 LTS there were not any problems installing packages through Ubuntu Software Center. Center elevated installation manager to admin automatically if needed asking password.

There is no packages in any Ubuntu Software Center in versions 10.10 and latest 12.04 LTS!!!
They probably decided to take it out because there are QT Octave environment  proposed (similar to Matlab) that is really nice. QT Octave has packages installation manager  that seems like works correctly but is is not. It copies all files to TMP directory in File System but not moving to usr/share/octave/packages directory. Or probably it tries to move without success but not generating error message.

I tried to use usual way of packages installation through Octave terminal and it is obviously giving me a fail!!! With reason of impossibility to copy files to restricted usr/share/octave/packages directory without admin privileges.

That is why I am proposing to implement in Octave terminal the “SUDO manager”, or call is as you want, that will elevate Octave application to administrative privileges if needed.

I have never worked in Debain but in Ubuntu you can have TEMPORARY admin privileges only through “SUDO” command in OS terminal. Again! That is how they built Ubuntu and until you have not experienced working in different versions of  Ubuntu OSs it is impossible to understand what I am talking about.

Again. I am not a guru in Linux and just a simple user of Ubuntu Operating system using standard available application. But I love Octave and want to prefect myself using it in my business.

Thanks

Alexander Bakharev
President, Mesuron LLC
Tel: +1 518-5573510
http://www.mesuron.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/abakharev

IMPORTANT WARNING: This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this message in error, please notify us via [hidden email]

Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012 9:49 AM

On 20 April 2012 08:23, mesuron <<A href="" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please try it yourself and you will see what I mean.

I don't have Ubuntu nor the inclination at presetn to install it to
see what you're talking about. I use Debian, and I believe Ubuntu uses
the Debian Octave packages without modification, so I

I need a precise description of what you're typing, what you're
seeing, and why you think you need admin privileges. When you do "pkg
forge -install control" inside Octave what are you seeing? You should
not need admin privileges to do this.

> And why I need to install packages in Home directory if I need them
> in active Octave directory as it arranged in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I don't know what an active directory is. If you install packages in
your home directory using the pkg command, Octave will find these
packages

> And another question. Why Octave has to install F-pkgs differently
> in different releases of Ubuntu?

It doesn't. Each should be the same always. I don't understand what
problem you're facing.

There is nobody in Ubuntu creating or maintaining Octave packages. The
packagers are in Debian, and a couple of years ago the packager doing
most of the work, Rafael Laboissiere, retired. He recently temporarily
came out of retirement and through laudable effort, combined with
Thomas Weber and Sébastian Villemot, have finally updated the
Octave-Forge packages. But you can still use the old Octave packages
as packaged for Debian and which Ubuntu took.

> Would be nice if you show me how to install package directly from
> Octave terminal in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or 10.10 for example so loading
> it will not end up with message  “package is not installed”

Where are you seeing this message? I don't believe Octave produces
such a message.

I don't understand what problems you're facing, so you need to give me
a very precise and thorough description.

- Jordi G. H.