Re: Octave inputParser

From: Aki Vehtari
Subject: Re: Octave inputParser
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:53:27 +0300

Hi,

Thanks for the informative reply. Unfortunately I don't have time and competence to fix octave-core bug #34478 or implement classdef.

The code you're asking for is in the general package release (1.3.0
released less than 1 month ago).

I have downloaded this code and experimented with it. I think I can manage with the current octave API for inputParser, but there is one bug and missing functionality in the 1.3.0 relase of inputParser.

1) Leaving out optional arguments does not work. Below is example function and example function calls, where latter fails in Octave, but not in Matlab.
---Clip---
function a = iptest(varargin)

  ip=inputParser;
  ip.FunctionName = 'IPTEST';
  ip=ip.addOptional('a', []);
  ip=ip.addParamValue('b',[]);
  ip=ip.parse(varargin{:});
  a=ip.Results.a;
---Clip---

octave-3.6.1:12> iptest(1,'b',2)
ans =  1
octave-3.6.1:13> iptest('b',2)
error: IPTEST : Parameter/Switch names must be strings
error: called from:
error: /proj/bayes/ave/gpstuffbeta/octave/@inputParser/subsref.m at line 132, column 7 error: /proj/bayes/ave/gpstuffbeta/octave/@inputParser/subsref.m at line 38, column 11
error:   /proj/bayes/ave/gpstuffbeta/octave/iptest.m at line 7, column 5

2) Matlab's inputParser accepts parameter-value pairs as a struct. It seems that this is not yet implemented in the 1.3.0 relase of inputParser.

We might be able to fix these, but before spending time on that, I'd like to know if someone has already fixed these or working on these?

Best,

Aki