Re: Spanish accents on graphic 2D

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: Spanish accents on graphic 2D
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:20:56 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote

> On 19 April 2012 11:04, Darío <darioslc@> wrote:
>> I will try, but in the PC of my job (they use Windows 7) the Octave
>> portable the accents working perfect, while in my home PC (I use Linux
>> Debian Squeeze) not working.
>
> Octave has no real support for non-ASCII encodings, and if they
> sometimes work, it's only by accident, not by design.
>
> I think your best bet may be to create simple plots and then annotate
> them in Spanish with other tools.

Rendering correctly accentuated characters should be the duty of the
underlying layers. Getting them to work correctly is sometimes tricky under
linux.

A few guesses:
- if running octave as an Emacs sub-process, add this to your .emacs:
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
- add to your .profile :
 export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
- be sure to select the right locale at your login screen, to ensure LANG is
transmitted to all the programs started by the session manager.

Regards

Pascal