Re: Strange behavior with git and oct-files

From: Reza Housseini
Subject: Re: Strange behavior with git and oct-files
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:13:24 +0200

2012/4/19 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
On 19 April 2012 03:38, Reza Housseini <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm using a local git repository with an oct-file inside it which calls some
> C++ code. I'm now working on a branch other then the master branch. When I
> compile my file using mkoctfile and let it run in the terminal, it
> don't recognizes that the file was being updated, I have to restart octave
> to run the actual file. What could be the cause of this and did someone
> experience the same problem?

Just to be clear, you checked in the compiled version of the oct file
into git? (Aside: Using git to track compiled files is a little
strange.) And when you change to a different compiled file by doing
"git checkout other-branch", Octave doesn't reload the oct file?

Is this a problem you experience only with git? If you swap around oct
files without git, does Octave reload them? If it's only a git
problem, perhaps there is some hardlinking going on, but I would like
to make sure.

- Jordi G. H.

Hello Jordi,

no that's the funny thing, the compiled file isn't it the repository at all. When I compile my modified source file (which is in the repo) then octave misses somehow that a new compiled file is available. Without git I never had problems with Compilation of oct-files. What you mean with hardlinking? when it isn't in the repo there's no need for any linking?

Reza