Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:29:34 -0400

On 18 April 2012 18:11, mesuron <address@hidden> wrote:
> As I can see Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 10.10 do not have Octave Packages in Ubuntu
> software center as it in 10.04 LTS

Sigh, really? Debian recently worked really hard to make packages for
those, but I guess Ubuntu's release schedule didn't match up with
Debian's and now we will have to wait 6 more months for Ubuntu to get
the Debian packages.

However, I do see some Octave-Forge packages in Ubuntu, e.g.

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/octave-image
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/octave-control

Which Octave-Forge package do you want?

> In order to install pkg I need to unpack them and manually copy them through
> Linux terminal. That is extremely time consuming.  /Is any easy way to do
> it?/

If you want to install the packages from Octave-Forge and not use the
Ubuntu packaging, try e. g.

    pkg install -forge control

> Why installation in Octave terminal do not pop up password window applying
> admin privileges to Octave application during installation.

Because Octave can install packages to your homedir without needing
admin privileges. I'm not sure what are you doing exactly that is
causing Octave to fail due to not having admin privileges.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.