Re: make check gives 258 errors

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: make check gives 258 errors
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 02:42:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 4/15/12, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: make check gives 258 errors
> To: "Sergei Steshenko" <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Muhali" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 8:21 AM
> Moving this discussion to the
> maintainers' list, where it belongs.
[snip]

> People make mistakes. This is inevitable. Someone on the
> development
> branch pushed a bad commit. These things happen; that's what
> development branch is for, for making mistakes.
[snip]

> - Jordi G. H.

_Exactly_ because humans make mistakes, they shouldn't be overconfident and
should check what they are doing.

This understanding of the need to check normally comes during school years.
I.e. one doesn't have to be a PhD, a MSc or a BSc to know that checks are
necessary school education is sufficient.

Not performing the needed check is not a mistake, it's sloppiness/negligence.
And, because I think that the understanding of the need to perform the checks
is gathered during school years, I call development model/practice which does
not involve running the needed checks a kindergarten one.

Performing the checks should be the part of SOP - apparently not the case here.

Regards,
  Sergei.