Re: Including Octave in NCLab

From: Pavel Solin
Subject: Re: Including Octave in NCLab
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 19:27:15 -0700

Hi Sergei,

2012/4/14 Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden>

--- On Sat, 4/14/12, Pavel Solin <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Pavel Solin <address@hidden>
To: "Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
Date: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 6:29 PM

Hello,  thank you very much for the prompt reply. Allow me a brief explanation why NCLab is not completely free, as you suggested.
NCLab is free for you and any other individual user and we even
pay for the cloud resources that you use. But NCLab can't be completely free for institutions whose resource utilization is much heavier. We are not bored millionaires, unfortunately. But if you
compare the price o NCLab to any other software such as Matlab (where resources are not included), the subscription fee for NCLab is embarassingly small.
I am not sure whether the Octave team has any plans to enable
free use of Octave in the cloud, but this is exactly what we want to do, with the kind permission of Octave developers. This will make Octave and other softwares included in NCLab easier to
use, so everyone should benefit from that. Again - individual users will not pay anything for using Octave or other tools in NCLab.
Sincerely,
Pavel

2012/4/14 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>

On 13 April 2012 22:57, Pavel Solin <address@hidden> wrote:

>   I would like to ask whether it is OK to include Octave in NCLab

> (http://nclab.com).

As far as GPL compliance goes, it's probably ok, if I understand

correctly how it's working. I wouldn't like to endorse non-free

software, though, so if you can make NCLab free, that would be much

preferrable (and if it were free, you wouldn't even have to be asking

us if it's ok to use Octave with it).

- Jordi G. H.

--
Pavel Solin
University of Nevada, Reno

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

I am not an Octave developer; I don't think you need to ask for a permission - one of the GPL clauses is "to use for any purpose".

We prefer politeness over law :)

The GPL imposes limitations on the way the covered software is distributed.

Since NCLab apparently doesn't distribute the code, nobody should care.

We will not distribute nor modify the code, beyond perhaps writing
some wrappers that we miss in Pytave.

Regards,
 Sergei.

P.S. You folks at NCLab may have a different problem - Octave has "system" command, and users can grab a lot of system resources using the command and probably alter/modify some files.

Yeah, we use chroot to fight this problem in Python, but we'll definitely
take a second look - thanks a lot for pointing this out!

Pavel

--
Pavel Solin
University of Nevada, Reno