What is recommended to build Octave without debugging symbols?

From: irrationalJohn
Subject: What is recommended to build Octave without debugging symbols?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 21:06:12 -0700 (PDT)

Because the "official" (?) version of Octave in the Ubuntu repository is v3.2 I have been trying out building Octave from the source code. This went mostly fine except that Octave sure seemed to need a lot of space!

Eventually I stumbled across the comment below from appendix G.2 of the Octave documentation.

Octave requires approximately 1.4 GB of disk storage to unpack and compile
from source (significantly less, 400 MB, if you don't compile with debugging
symbols). To compile without debugging symbols try the command
          make CFLAGS=-O CXXFLAGS=-O LDFLAGS=
instead of just make.

OK, fine, except that doing what the documentation suggests did not work for me. I don't think I made a mistake so I'm wondering if the documentation is just wrong.

What did seem to work for me was to specify the flags as arguments to ./configure rather than to make.

Using ./configure CFLAGS=-O2 CXXFLAGS=-O2 cut down the size from ~1.7GB to ~250MB.

But I was just guessing when I did this. Is specifying the options on ./configure the recommended way to change the compile options when building Octave or is another approach preferred?

-irrational john