Re: where is help in octave?

From: c.
Subject: Re: where is help in octave?
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 12:19:58 +0200

On 7 Apr 2012, at 11:18, Robert H wrote:

> First time using octave.
>
> I installed it using apt on linux, and also installed all the octave related
> 3rd party packages I can see on synaptic package manager such as
> octave-control, octave-plot, octave-statistics, octave-signal, octave-qt, and
> many more...
>
> Now here is the problem: How do I find what functions I have now? I see no
> help like with Matlab.
>
> When I am inside octave, I type help, it tells me to do
>
> help NAME
>
> but I have no idea what NAME is there to start with.
>
> Is there a way to find what functions I have now installed for octave,
> including all these packages I just installed?
>
> Robert

1) Octave

As explained here:

www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Getting-Help.html#index-help_002c-on_002dline-88

you can access the full text of the Octave manual via the info browser by
typing "doc" at the Octave prompt.
If you prefer the html version over the info version, you can browse it here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/index.html

The same html docs (and also a pdf version) should be installed locally on your
machine, where exactly they are located depends on which Linux
distribution you are using.

2) Third party packages:

The command

pkg describe -verbose <PACKAGE NAME>

will give you a list of the functions provided py the package <PACKAGE NAME>

HTH,
c.