Re: Can't get octave to run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Ben Abbott)

From: Glenn Eychaner
Subject: Re: Can't get octave to run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Ben Abbott)
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 09:11:29 -0300

On Apr 6, 2012, at 6:23 AM, address@hidden wrote:

> sudo touch /usr/local/bin/gnuplot
> sudo ln -s /Applications/gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot
> /usr/local/bin/gnuplot
> sudo touch /usr/local/bin/octave
> sudo ln -s /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave
> /usr/local/bin/octave

You shouldn't "touch" the files before doing the "ln"; at least on my system,
that gives the error "File exists".  The "right" way to create the links is:

sudo ln -sfh /Applications/gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot
/usr/local/bin/gnuplot
sudo ln -sfh /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave
/usr/local/bin/octave

the "f" will overwrite any existing file; the "h" will ensure that if the
existing file is itself a softlink, it doesn't get followed.

-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner (address@hidden)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory