Re: query on using matlab toolboxes in Octave

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: query on using matlab toolboxes in Octave
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 13:17:43 -0700 (PDT)

ryan S wrote

> Hello all, I am new to Octave and was wondering if it is possible to use
> matlab toolboxes in Octave? If so, how do I do it? Thanks for your
> assistance.

Hello, and welcome in the Octave world. The answer is both yes and no:
- the toolboxes developped by the MathWorks are copyrighted and may not be
used under Octave.
- toolboxes found on MatlabExchange or other places, if their licenses
permit it, may be used under Octave. Some of them will run "out-of-the-box",
some will requires bits of tweaking. If you need to adapt the toolbox for
use under Octave, try to comply with the licensing: sometimes modification
for your own internal use will be allowed, sometimes, the author will
require you transmit him/her the modifications so that the code can be
updated.

The answer from a technical point of view: try and post the offending code
and error messages, if any.

Regards

Pascal