Re: Compiling octave specifying path to GraphicsMagick library

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Compiling octave specifying path to GraphicsMagick library
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 14:17:55 +0100

On 2 April 2012 12:18, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 09:57:16AM +0100, Carnė Draug wrote:

>> > Yes, I still think PKG_CONFIG_PATH is the right way to go, have you
>> > tried it yet?
>>
>> I did but I had problems with it. When running configure, one of the
>> tests fail (the one about "checking for Magick::ColorRGB in
>> Magick++.h"). When I talked with the GraphicsMagick devs, they told
>> me:
>>
>> > It looks like the GraphicsMagick libraries have been included, but all of
>> > the libraries that the GraphicsMagick libraries depend on are not included.
>> >
>> > Do you have any idea how Octave picks up the configuration required by
>> > GraphicsMagick?
>> >
>> > For example, it might try to execute 'GraphicsMagick++-config' (which would
>> > be /home/carandraug/.bin/gm/bin/GraphicsMagick++-config in your install) to
>> > obtain its configuration.  Perhaps it expects that this script will be in
>> > your executable search path.
>>
>> I have tried to change $PATH to include it and all "which
>> GraphicsMagick++-config", "pkg-config --cflags GraphicsMagick++" and
>> "pkg-config --libs GraphicsMagick++" show the right paths
>>
>> $ which GraphicsMagick++-config
>> /home/carandraug/.bin/gm/bin/GraphicsMagick++-config
>> $ pkg-config --cflags GraphicsMagick++
>> -I/home/carandraug/.bin/gm/include/GraphicsMagick
>> $ pkg-config --libs GraphicsMagick++
>> -L/home/carandraug/.bin/gm/lib -lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick
>>
>> However, configure still fails. I have pastebin the errors I get on
>> config.log here http://pastebin.com/TVZWA0ew .
>
> I can tell from your config.log that configure is only finding the
> static library libGraphicsMagick.a, when you built it did you disable
> shared libraries?  That would be why it can't find it's dependencies.

Oh! I didn't disable them, they are disabled by default and on their
INSTALL file they advise to not enable it unless I know what I'm doing
(which I don't, octave was the only program I have ever built before).
So I enabled shared libraries, added the bash code to .profile already
mentioned to set all the variables, and configure ran fine fine this
time. I have then built octave successfully and imread is working
perfectly, reading uint16 images. Problem solved!

Thank you all very much for your help,
Carnë