Re: Compiling octave specifying path to GraphicsMagick library

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Compiling octave specifying path to GraphicsMagick library
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 10:19:28 +0100

On 1 April 2012 15:27, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2012, at 6:34 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:

>>> Use CPPFLAGS=-I/some/dir to add the directory where the header files
>>> are found and LDFLAGS=-L/some/dir to add the directory where the
>>> library is found.
>>
>> I tried this but it's still not working. I thought it was a problem
>> with GraphicsMagick but after talking to their devs it looks like the
>> problem is still with building Octave.
>>
>> Even by setting those flags, after compiling Octave (3.6.1 by the way)
>> checking octave_config_info I noticed that it was still using the
>> system /usr/include/GraphicsMagick. This was despite that configure
>> was using the "right" GraphicsMagick for the tests. However, looking
>> into the Makefile being generated I noticed this MAGICK_CPPFLAGS =
>> -I/usr/include/GraphicsMagick. I manually edited the Makefile
>> MAGICK_CPPFLAGS and MAGICK_LDFLAGS and that seemed to work. However,
>> the octave_config_info is still mentioning MAGICK_CPPFLAGS =
>> -I/usr/include/GraphicsMagick, not the ones I changed.
>>
>> I no longer get the warning about being limited to 8bit images (so
>> it's using the right GraphicsMagick) but I get the following error
>>
>> error: imread: invalid image file: Magick++ exception: Magick: No
>> decode delegate for this image format () reported by
>> magick/constitute.c:8279 (ReadImage)
>>
>> But GraphicsMagick does open the images no problem (I've tried it
>> outside octave with "gm display").
>>
>> Does anyone has any idea of what I'm doing wrong?
>>
> I may be inferring incorrectly, but have you tried to directly specify
> MAGICK_LDFLAGS, MAGICK_LIBS, and MAGICK_CPPFLAGS before running ./configure ?
>
>        MAGICK_LIBS="-lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick  "
>        MAGICK_LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib  "
>        MAGICK_CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/GraphicsMagick  "
>        ./configure ...
>
> You'll need to change the paths to point to the proper directories.

I have tried this and no success. configure still picks on the system
install of GraphicsMagick and completely ignores the values of
MAGICK_LDFLAGS, MAGICK_LIBS, and MAGICK_CPPFLAGS.

$ env | grep MAGICK
MAGICK_LDFLAGS=-L/home/carandraug/.bin/gm/lib/GraphicsMagick-1.3.14
MAGICK_CPPFLAGS=-I/home/carandraug/.bin/gm/include/GraphicsMagick
MAGICK_LIBS=-lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick

I looked into config.log and and see no mention of those paths, only
of /usr/include/GraphicsMagick

Carnë