Re: Compiling octave specifying path to GraphicsMagick library

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Compiling octave specifying path to GraphicsMagick library
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 09:57:16 +0100

On 1 April 2012 14:15, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:34:15AM +0100, Carnë Draug wrote:
>> >
>> > Use CPPFLAGS=-I/some/dir to add the directory where the header files
>> > are found and LDFLAGS=-L/some/dir to add the directory where the
>> > library is found.
>>
>> I tried this but it's still not working. I thought it was a problem
>> with GraphicsMagick but after talking to their devs it looks like the
>> problem is still with building Octave.
>>
>> Even by setting those flags, after compiling Octave (3.6.1 by the way)
>> checking octave_config_info I noticed that it was still using the
>> system /usr/include/GraphicsMagick. This was despite that configure
>> was using the "right" GraphicsMagick for the tests. However, looking
>> into the Makefile being generated I noticed this MAGICK_CPPFLAGS =
>> -I/usr/include/GraphicsMagick. I manually edited the Makefile
>> MAGICK_CPPFLAGS and MAGICK_LDFLAGS and that seemed to work. However,
>> the octave_config_info is still mentioning MAGICK_CPPFLAGS =
>> -I/usr/include/GraphicsMagick, not the ones I changed.
>>
>> I no longer get the warning about being limited to 8bit images (so
>> it's using the right GraphicsMagick) but I get the following error
>>
>> error: imread: invalid image file: Magick++ exception: Magick: No
>> decode delegate for this image format () reported by
>> magick/constitute.c:8279 (ReadImage)
>>
>> But GraphicsMagick does open the images no problem (I've tried it
>> outside octave with "gm display").
>>
>> Does anyone has any idea of what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Yes, I still think PKG_CONFIG_PATH is the right way to go, have you
> tried it yet?

I did but I had problems with it. When running configure, one of the
tests fail (the one about "checking for Magick::ColorRGB in
Magick++.h"). When I talked with the GraphicsMagick devs, they told
me:

> It looks like the GraphicsMagick libraries have been included, but all of
> the libraries that the GraphicsMagick libraries depend on are not included.
>
> Do you have any idea how Octave picks up the configuration required by
> GraphicsMagick?
>
> For example, it might try to execute 'GraphicsMagick++-config' (which would
> be /home/carandraug/.bin/gm/bin/GraphicsMagick++-config in your install) to
> obtain its configuration.  Perhaps it expects that this script will be in
> your executable search path.

I have tried to change $PATH to include it and all "which
GraphicsMagick++-config", "pkg-config --cflags GraphicsMagick++" and
"pkg-config --libs GraphicsMagick++" show the right paths

$ which GraphicsMagick++-config
/home/carandraug/.bin/gm/bin/GraphicsMagick++-config
$ pkg-config --cflags GraphicsMagick++
-I/home/carandraug/.bin/gm/include/GraphicsMagick
$ pkg-config --libs GraphicsMagick++
-L/home/carandraug/.bin/gm/lib -lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick

However, configure still fails. I have pastebin the errors I get on
config.log here http://pastebin.com/TVZWA0ew .

Carnë