Re: Compiling octave specifying path to GraphicsMagick library

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Compiling octave specifying path to GraphicsMagick library
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 14:47:49 -0400

On  1-Apr-2012, Ben Abbott wrote:

| I may be inferring incorrectly, but have you tried to directly specify
MAGICK_LDFLAGS, MAGICK_LIBS, and MAGICK_CPPFLAGS before running ./configure ?

|       MAGICK_LIBS="-lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick  "
|       MAGICK_LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib  "
|       MAGICK_CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/GraphicsMagick  "
|       ./configure ...
|
| You'll need to change the paths to point to the proper directories.

Yes, this is correct.  I got the details wrong when I posted earlier.
I was thinking about specifying the locations for libraries that are
linked directly with Octave.  But since imread is a separate .oct
file, we have the compiler flags for it separate from CPPFLAGS and
LDFLAGS.  I think that makes sense because otherwise we would have the
compiler searching these extra directories for all source files in
Octave and we would unnecessarily link Octave with graphics magick.

However, I think someone pointed out that these extra flags are used
after CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS, so you will always get the system
header files and libraries if there is more than one version
installed.  I think that's a bug.  Would someone like to fix it for
graphics magick and all the other libraries that have similar
problems?  Or at least report it as a bug so the issue won't be
forgotten?

Thanks,

jwe