Re: plot save time scales with plot complexity

From: BobM
Subject: Re: plot save time scales with plot complexity
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:48:16 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for the sanity check, but the behavior is a bit unfortunate.

I'm advocating for octave as a MatLab alternative at work, but this is an
area where the high-priced tool is much faster.

I agree that I could downsize the data set, as you point out I'm trying to
display more data than I have resolution for, but the thing that I'm most
often using Octave for is interactive data analysis, to share teh analysis I
tend to make images of plots and it's fairly common for me to start out with
the original plot and then repeatedly zoom in to look at details.

I currently do this by plotting the full data set, adjusting the plot as I
desire (color, legend, labeling, etc) and make an image. I then zoom in and
make images of the various details. If I down-sample the data I think this
would fail.

Thank you both for your attention, explanation and suggestions, Octave is a
wonderful tool, I had hoped that this was an issue with the way I had
installed it, rather than a fundamental issue.

Regards
BobM