Re: R: Re: Modify machine precision

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: R: Re: Modify machine precision
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:01:50 +0200

Am 29.03.2012 10:34, schrieb alberto frigerio:
> Hi Jordi,
>
> thank you for your reply.
>
> So you are telling me that in Octave there is no way to force machine
> precision in a program? My problem is that I'm doing some analyses
> with another precision whose machine precision is 1e-13 and I was
> wondering to set that value in my program too (only in this one, not
> in Octave as a whole) to have a check of our results ...
>
> Thanks again,
>
>   Alberto
Of course I do not know the details of the problem you try to simulate,
but it sounds a bit like you should consider to use a computer algebra
system for that special situation where you can define the arbitrary
precision yourself (or arbitrary unprecision in this case). There are
several truly free versions out there, myself I use maxima for things
outside the comfort zone of octave there is also a free/libre version of
axiom and there is sage (I am not familiar with the latter two). At
least in maxima you can define exactly what prec. you want.
Be aware that you pay a high price in cpu usage with a CAS since the
arbitrary prec. arithmetic does not directly map to the cpu features and
is completely simulated in software.