RE: plotting time series in Octave

From: financial engineer
Subject: RE: plotting time series in Octave
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 20:36:59 -0400

> Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:31:43 +0000
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden; address@hidden
> Subject: Re: plotting time series in Octave
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 09:46:27PM -0400, financial engineer wrote:
> >

> > > octave> pkg -forge install financial
> >
> > thanks Indium,
> > tried it....this is the error I get.
> >
> > octave-3.2.4:1> pkg -forge install financial
> > warning: file -forge does not exist
> > warning: file financial does not exist
> >
> > I think I should upgrade to the new octave version 3.6, but
> > unfortunately don't have the instructions to build/install it on ubuntu
> > 10.04....hopefully someone on the team can guide me on that.....Bobby
>
> Hi Bobby,
>
> you can do without the -forge option: this just gets the package automatically from the internet. Instead, just get it from http://octave.sf.net (the financial package) and start octave from the command line from the directory where you have saved the downloaded package. From the 'octave>' prompt you can do:
> pkg install "./financial-0.3.2.tar.gz"
>
> hope this works.
>
> Otherwise to install the 3.6 version of octave, just download the .tar.gz file, uncompress it and install it in your home directory.
>
> mkdir ~/src
> cd ~/src
> mv ~/Downloads/octave.XXXXXXX.tar.gz .
> tar xvzf octave.XXXXXX.tar.gz
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME
> (if it complains about (critical) missing libraries, use synaptic package manager to search for the libraries/header files and install them or google).
> make
> make install
>
> BE AWARE: this installation can easily take an hour to finish...
>
> This will install your own octave executable, beside the standard ubuntu version. If you want to --always-use-- your own version, add this to your $HOME/.bash_profile or $HOME/.bashrc:
>
> export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
>
> HTH, indium

thanks Indium,
I tried installing the financial package, and it complained about an older version of time on my machine. So, I tried to install that, but....

pkg install "/financial-0.3.2.tar.gz"
error: the following dependencies where unsatisfied:
   financial needs time >= 1.0.5
octave-3.2.4:2> pkg install "/time-1.0.9.tar.gz"
couldn't create installation directory /usr/share/octave/packages/3.2/time-1.0.9 : Permission denied
error: called from `pkg>copy_files' in file /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1431, column 7
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 756, column 5
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 287, column 7
octave-3.2.4:2> sudo pkg install "/time-1.0.9.tar.gz"
error: `sudo' undefined near line 2 column 1

It seems like I cannot use sudo in octave....I typically do sudo -i on my machine to go in as root if it complains about sudo, but none of that works here. any thoughts on how I go about it...I am still working on the ubuntu version....Bobby