Help, please!

From: Georg Huber
Subject: Help, please!
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:01:07 -0700

Dear Madam / Sir

for four days now I'm struggling in vain to install
Octave / GUI Octave / openEMS on my computer*.

Here is what I have done:
1) installed Octave,
2) installed GUI Octave, and
3) installed openEMS.

1) Installation of Octave.
   Worked very well, indeed. I could run the examples like "2 + 2".
   Therefore, I consider this a success.

2) Installation of GUI Octave.
   The install seems to have worked for there appeared two windows, one is
   titled "GUI Octave" and the other one "Octave Editor".
   The "GUI Octave" window shows the same prompt (e.g., "octave:1>") as does
   the command-line version of Octave. The only but important difference is that
   while I can type instructions into the command-line version, I can't do the
   same in the "GUI Octave" window. I even don't know whether this behavior is
   "normal" or not.
   In contrast, the "Octave Editor" window allows inputs and looks very neat,
but
   after inserting said inputs not much happened: the cursor just jumped to the
   start position of a new line.

  (There is a forum for GUI Octave, and some people got it working, I wonder
what
   magic they brought forth. But people there also are frustrated by the
hit-and-
   miss advance that could be avoided by posting just one short tutorial. If I
can
   gather enough information and my install works, I will try to post a pdf file
   with my experiences and, hopefully, successful solution.)

3) Installation of openEMS.
   Expanding the openEMS zip file was no problem. I entered my path into the
   command-line version of Octave and just another prompt appeared.
   When I tried to fire up CSXGeomPlot('nonexistant.xml') nothing happened.
   OK, I wasn't very much surprised, because I didn't know what to make of
   "invoke the openEMS solver" in the first place (see "Tutorial: First Steps ->
   Windows" on "http://www.openems.de/index.php/Tutorial:_First_Steps";).

The only other working instance was when double-clicking on "Patch_Antenna.m"
automatically opened this file in "Octave Editor".

Having browsed the Internet for help I can only say that there is not much help
out there. The worst part of all seems to get GUI Octave working with Octave.
But getting the command-line version of Octave working with openEMS seems to
be daunting enough, at least for me. I don't even know what kind of characters
are allowed within the Octave environment when entering the path to openEMS.
Are white spaces acceptable?

I hope, someone is so kind as to lend a helping hand.

Best regards
Georg Huber

* CPU: Intel i7-2670QM
  RAM: 8GB
  Disk: 640 GB
  OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 Bits

Hate paying Tax? Support the No Carbon Dioxide Tax protest rally on the 2nd
April 2011. http://www.stopgillardscarbontax.com/rally-list.html