Re: Is there something quicker than textscan?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Is there something quicker than textscan?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 08:11:52 -0400

On 19 March 2012 07:44, PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have a patch in mind (and tried in a debug situation) that will
> significantly speed up your problem (though not as fast as ML), but
> that will have to wait until (1) I got time to implement it and (2)
> release of Octave 3.8. Or maybe 3.6.2 if it the core developers
> agree that the poor performance is a bug (I'd say so but who am I).

The stable release is supposed to be conservative. It has to be, if it
is to be stable. Patching a non-critical performance bug is not
conservative, because that may introduce unforeseen bugs of its own
and not achieve the desired stability. Is the performance bad enough
to make the function unusable in all or most situations? In that case,
it's a patch for the stable branch. If not, it can wait until the
northern hemisphere summer, which is the rough expected release date
of the 3.8 version.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.