Is there something quicker than textscan?

From: maiky76
Subject: Is there something quicker than textscan?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 00:25:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have to load quite a few files from an analyzer (.txt with 4 columns of
16384 lines of fft: freq, Gain, Phase and Coherence with plus a footer with
the analyzer settings that i don't care about).

I use the following code in a loop to store the data before performing some
calculation in the loop:

[...]

fid     = fopen(D_FR(k).name);
data    = textscan(fid,'%f %f %f %f',16384);
fclose(fid);

FRTF_gain(:,k)  = data{1,2};
FRTF_phase(:,k)  = data{1,3};
FRTF_coh(:,k)     = data{1,4};

[...]

The slowest step by (very) far is the textscan process.
I average 85s per file with Octave 3.6.1 and 0.25s with Matlab 2010a.

Question: how could I load the data quicker than that in Octave?

Thanks