Re: fixed points piecewise-linear fitting

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: fixed points piecewise-linear fitting
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:24:40 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message -----

[snip]

> You might try something, look at the Fourier Transform of the resulting
> solution.
[snip]

Folks,

let's stick to the KISS  principle.

I have a solution which works quite well for me. I.e. in practical terms the
whole issue is not burning at all.

I thought somebody could be _practically_ familiar with already invented wheels
in the field and could point me to articles with "fixed points piecewise-linear
fitting". I mean, to as simple as possible articles. And/or to precooked code
with explanation which could be understood by an electronic engineer - not by a
statistician.

I did go through some articles I found on the web - I don't remember Fourier
transform or convolution mentioned in them.

I think the issue of derivatives is irrelevant here. I.e. the task is to fit
analytically unknown function (so nothing is known about its derivatives) with
piecewise-linear function which by construction has step-like (or bar-like ?)
first derivative.

Thanks,
  Sergei.