Re: Scatter Plot Help - exporting linearly interpolated rgb values

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Scatter Plot Help - exporting linearly interpolated rgb values
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:20:46 -0400

On Mar 15, 2012, at 12:38 AM, octave_newbie wrote:

> Octave newbie here...I have a data matrix, [X, Y, Z] where X, Y are positions
> (X and Y are each Nx1 matrix) , Z is the corresponding height.
>
> When I plot it using scatter plot, the function 'scatter' automatically
> linearly interpolates the data Z into the specified 64x3 colormap (I
> specified the 'jet' colormap), and plots the rgb values on a figure.
>
> I would like to somehow find a way to obtain the interpolated rgb values in
> matrix form. Is that possible?

If I recall correctly, Z is mapped to the nearest color values by 1D
interpolation of the color axes limits.

        h = scatter (X, Y, [], Z);
        colors = interp1 (caxis, [1, (size (colormap (), 1))], Z, "nearest")

or

        h = scatter (X, Y, [], Z);
        colors = interp1 (caxis, [1, (size (colormap (), 1))], get (h,
"cdata"), "nearest")

Ben