Re: Configuration issues

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Configuration issues
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:02:52 -0400

On Mar 14, 2012, at 8:42 PM, Alexandre Payeur wrote:

>> On Mar 14, 2012, at 5:43 PM, Alexandre Payeur wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install octave 3.6.1.. When I do ./configure, it produces
>>> the following error:
>>>
>>> checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... unknown
>>> configure: WARNING: unknown Fortran name-mangling scheme
>>> configure: defining FFLAGS to be -O
>>> checking whether gfortran generates correct size integers... no
>>> configure: error: your Fortran compiler must have an option to make
>>> integers the same size as octave_idx_type (int).  See the file INSTALL
>>> for
>>> more information.
>>>
>>> The INSTALL file doesn't contain any information whatsoever. I searched
>>> the web for an answer and I found nothing a human can understand.
>>>
>>> I have version 3.4.0. working, but I need a more recent version to use
>>> the
>>> xcorr function.
>>>
>>> Any help will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Alexandre Payeur
>>
>> Are you running MacOS ?
>>
>>      http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_Mac
>>
>> Ben
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> I have octave 3.4.0. installed and it works. I want to upgrade to 3.6.0.
> or 3.6.1. to use the function xcorr in the signal package.
>
> So, I guess my Mac is already 'GNUified'.
>
> Is this what you meant?
>
> Alex

Apple's Xcode does not include a fortran compiler. If you'd like to build
Octave's sources, you'll need to install a version of gcc that does include
gfortran. I highly recommend you either use the AT&T Research's gfortran that
has been patched to work with Apple's gcc 4.2 ...

        http://r.research.att.com/tools/

... or, use a package management system like Fink, MacPorts, or Homebrew.

        http://www.finkproject.org/

        http://www.macports.org/

        http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

If you're not sure, I recommend a package management system over installing the
patched gfortran from AT&T Research's gfortran. I've used both Fink and
MacPorts. I have no problem building the developers sources with MacPorts, but
have some trouble with Fink. Homebrew looks like it would be easy to build
octave with, but I haven't tried.

Ben