Building any recent 3.X version on AIX 5.3 or above

From: scunacc
Subject: Building any recent 3.X version on AIX 5.3 or above
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 12:52:17 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I have been trying to get a version of Octave from 3.0.5 thru 3.6.1 working
on AIX.

I have 5.3 with v9 xlc compiler suite and 6.1 with 11/13 xlc / xlf.

I have gcc 4.2.4 on the 5.3 (and can install the same on 6.1 but haven't
yet).

I get a variety of different errors in trying to build any of the main
sequence versions of Octave mentioned above. I am not looking at *this*
point to try and debug a specific issue, though I may post some of those
shortly. What I want to know at present is has anyone successfully compiled
a recent 3.X Octave on AIX 5.3 -> 6.1 with xlc or gcc?

If so, please, please, please, can you post your build environment / script
so I can take a look and see what I might be doing wrong.

Much appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Derek Jones.