Re: Issues with Java

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Issues with Java
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 01:42:09 -0800 (PST)

srjacobs wrote

> I have recently downloaded the newest version of Octave and loaded the
> packages. I went through the read-me file about loading the packages and
> followed the instructions. After I quit Octave and opened it the next day
> got this error message concerning Java:
>
> error: No Java support found.

That means that some function (chk_spreadsheet_support.m) couldn't discern:
- a working Java environment, and/or
- a working Java package.

You say you got the latter loaded, so it appears you have no Java. You'll
need at least a JRE to be able to use the Java package.

> error: called from:
> error:
> C:\Octave\share\octave\packages\io-1.0.17\chk_spreadsheet_support.m a
> error:   C:\Octave\share\octave\packages\io-1.0.17\PKG_ADD at line 10,
> column

That is just a continuation of the error msg above.

> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error: addpath: all arguments must be character strings
> error:   C:\Octave\share\octave\3.6.1\m\pkg\pkg.m at line 2350, column 5
> error:   C:\Octave\share\octave\3.6.1\m\pkg\pkg.m at line 2140, column 1
> error:   C:\Octave\share\octave\3.6.1\m\pkg\pkg.m at line 401, column 7
> error:   C:\Octave\share\octave\3.6.1\m\startup/octaverc at line 20,
> column
> 1

These errors are probably related to something that is fubarred in your
Octave installation.
Perhaps you forgot to adapt the various full file paths in this file:
    C:\Octave\share\octave\3.6.1\m\startup/octaverc
?

> I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this. Thanks very much for
> the help

Not much we can do from here.
Just start searching. I'd start checking octaverc.

Philip