Re: saving in HDF5 with compression

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: saving in HDF5 with compression
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 15:50:16 -0500

Moving this discussion to the maintainers' list...

2012/3/8 Piotr Majdak <address@hidden>:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> On 5 March 2012 11:44, petibub <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> BTW: saving and then zipping is not an option for me because I must stay
>>> with the HDF5 specs.
>>
>> Why is this against the HDF5 spec?
>
> Because when I save the data as HDF5 file and then zip the file then it
> won't be a HDF5 file anymore. It would be a zip file.

Oh, I wasn't sure. I thought it was just external compression like
other file formats.

> Actually, zipping a HDF5 file would be not a good solution, because
> HDF5 already supports compressing of individual variables, including
> chunking and shuffling, hence more efficient. All of them is
> implemented in the HDF5 library - all we need is to activate it.
>
> Do you know how to do it in Octave?

I don't, but I suspect it's not implemented. The src/*hdf5* files in
the Octave source treeare probably the location to modify if you want
to enable HDF5 compression. Perhaps something else needs to be
modified elsewhere to enable an interface from the interpreter for
compression.

Do you need help getting started reading the Octave sources? This
might help:

    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/tip/etc/HACKING

- Jordi G. H.