Re: Problems Installing/Running Octave on Mac OS X 10.6.8

From: Paul Sims
Subject: Re: Problems Installing/Running Octave on Mac OS X 10.6.8
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:41:46 -0800

On Mar 7, 2012, at 10:37 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Mar 7, 2012, at 2:13 AM, Paul Sims wrote:

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble getting Octave to run on my mac, version 10.6.8. I followed the octave wiki instructions here:

http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_MacOS_X_Bundle

and got all the files (Octave, GnuPlot, and Aquaterm) into my applications folder. I then opened Octave, got the start up message with copyright, and entered the first line of code per the instructions from the wiki section: Running Octave and Gnuplot from a Terminal

• sudo touch /usr/local/bin/gnuplot

However, I got a message asking for confirmation since this could change my settings, which I said yes to and now I can't use Octave. All I got was a request for a password which I didn't know. When I click on Octave now I get my terminal screen, but with no recognition of Octave, no set up screen, etc. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling octave to no avail.

Any ideas on what I did wrong and what I can do to fix it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- Paul

The instructions below are only needed if you want to start Octave from a Terminal's command line.

http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_MacOS_X_Bundle#Running_Octave_and_Gnuplot_from_a_Terminal

If that is what you want, did you follow all the instructions ?

What does "with no recognition of Octave" mean ?

Why do you expect a setup screen ?

If all you want to do is run Octave you just double-click on the App and Octave will be run in a Terminal window and begin by displaying the text below.

-------------------------------
GNU Octave, version 3.4.0
Copyright (C) 2011 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "x86_64-apple-darwin10.7.3".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.
-------------------------------

Ben

Well shoot, now I feel quite foolish for trying to start from the terminal screen but unfortunately I'm still having problems just trying to start octave.

I only copied the first line of code in, hit return, before it asked for a password, which I didn't have. I tried typing but nothing was happening so I quit the program. When I start Octave now it loads the terminal screen and octave in the dock but the octave icon then disappears from the dock and I get the following message on my terminal screen: exec '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'. The heading on my terminal screen reads: "Terminal - login - 80 x 24".

When I say with "no recognition of Octave", I mean that I get a heading on my terminal screen that reads "Terminal - login - 80 x 24" instead of the initial one that says "Octave etc. etc. etc.". As to a setup screen, I meant I was expecting the intro paragraph that usually shows up, i.e.

"GNU Octave, version 3.4.0

Copyright (C) 2011 John W. Eaton and others.

This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "x86_64-apple-darwin10.7.3".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.

For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports."

I have copied this from another post but it's the same information that shows up when the program initially starts.

At this point, I'd just like to run the program...

Thanks!