Re: xlread in 3.6.0

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: xlread in 3.6.0
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:12:30 -0800 (PST)

Actually this question belongs to the octave-forge mailing list (xlsread
comes from the octave-forge io package) => cc'd

Ming Lu wrote

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I used xlread in 3.4.3 to read some Excel 2007 xlsm files with no problem,
> but the same code doesn't work in 3.6.0 anymore. The error is as
> following:
> Detected interfaces: not working.
> POI (& OOXML)*; JXL; OXS; (* = active interface)
> Couldn't open file xxxxxxx.xlsm using POI;
> error: JXL can only read reliably from .xls files
>
> anyone knows how to fix this? Thanks.

Some counter questions:

- What operating system?

- Are you talking about the very same .xlsm files that were read from OK in
3.4.3 but no more in 3.6.0?

- Could you please run (in Octave-3.6.0 then):
      chk_spreadsheet_support ('', 3)
('' = empty string) to get more diagnostics about what does work and what
doesn't?

AFAIK in xlsopen.m (the file that yields the messages) nothing has changed
lately that could affect handling of OOXML files.
Here on my box I can read at least .xlsx files as usual with Octave-3.6.0.
I've never tried .xlsm files (those seem to be macro files?)

Philip