matrix size for plotting ?

From: Christoph Ellenberger
Subject: matrix size for plotting ?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 11:24:37 +0100

Hello,
I observe the following and wanted to know if this is intended or how can I
circumvent my problem (eg increasing memory).

I have relativey large Matrices I want to plot, and depending on backend I use
I get either a plot, a crash or an exhausted memory message. I also run several
flavors of octave on a Windows XP (3.2.4, 3.6.0 minGW and 3.6.1 VS2010)

As example I run something like
A = rand(256,2^X);
figure;pcolor(A),shading interp, colormap gray
or
figure;imagesc(A),shading interp, colormap gray

QtHandles and fltk crash for imagesc already for X>=14, while gnuplot crashes
for X>=16. For pcolor I can't observe a crash but a  memory exhaust message for
X>=17.

I would expect the warning at some specific size and no crash (always bad).
My 2 questions:
- How can I improve that behavior ?
- should I file a bug report ?

thanks in advance